What you need to know about spray foam rigs?

What do I need to fit in my spray foam insulation rig?

Congratulations on deciding to become a spray foam insulator contractor! That was the easy part. Now you need to figure out what equipment to buy, and then what type of rig you will use to cart all that equipment around from job to job. This article will give you an introduction on things to consider when looking for a rig.


What types of trailers are available?

You want to make sure that whatever you choose will be robust enough to handle the weight of your equipment and chemicals year after year. You can choose from two different types of trailers. One is called a tag along, and the other is a gooseneck. Tag along trailers are smaller than goosenecks, averaging 6 feet wide by 10 feet long. A gooseneck trailer, on the other hand, averages 7.5 feet wide by 20 feet long. Both types of trailers require a special hitch to connect it to your truck. If your business is large, you may want to go with a box truck.

Once that decision is made, you need to consider what type of doors you need on your rig. Do you want barn doors, or do you want ramp doors? These doors are for installing and moving your equipment. Many trailers come with a side door for people. Another thing to look for in your trailer is a hose hatch. This is a small door in the back of the trailer through which you run your hose to the outside. These decisions will depend on how much equipment you need to haul around. Make sure the rig you end up with is insulated. You can find custom trailers that are already insulated, or you can insulate it yourself. Keep in mind that you will be hauling around chemicals that are temperature sensitive, so make sure your rig is designed to help you keep the air temperature consistent.


What equipment will I need to fit in my rig?

After your rig, the most important piece of equipment you will buy will be your generator. A generator will power many things, including your proportioner, heated hoses, refrigerated air dryer, air compressor, power tools, lights, auxiliary outlets, heat/AC units, to name a few. Next in importance will be your sprayer. Sprayers for foam insulation come in three different types: electric, hydraulic, and air. The sprayer’s job is to mix the A and B chemicals and deliver them to the spray gun. Depending on what type of sprayer you buy, you may need an agitator to mix your chemicals. You will also need several spray guns, depending on the size of your jobs and the number of people in your crew. You’ll also need heated hoses for application of the insulation. Heated hoses come in a variety of lengths. The shortest is about 6 feet. Depending on the brand of hose you buy, you can connect hoses and end up with a hose that is about 350 feet. Make sure that your rig has a hose rack in it so that your hoses are stored correctly.

Do not forget to buy your safety equipment! You will need a fire extinguisher, a first aid kit, masks, safety goggles, protective gloves, and personal protective equipment (PPE). Spray foam insulation contains chemicals that can be harmful if inhaled or exposed to your skin.

The IntelliSpray™ IS40™ Spray Foam System from Carlisle Liquid Technologies® includes the proportioner, QuickHeat™ Hose, and ST1™ Gun. Buy yours today!


Contact us for more information

Whether you are a sole operator, have a small crew, or multiple rigs running daily, our spray foam insulation machine maximizes your most important asset: your reputation. The Carlisle IntelliSpray IS40 reduces the risk of off-ratio jobs, is easy to operate, built for durability, gets jobs done faster, and increases your bottom line.